Sunday, December 30, 2007

Diary of my first Christmas as a mommy...

Your perspective completely changes once you are a mom at Christmas. I didn't even think once about gifts that I was hoping to receive. I wasn't concerned with the costs involved with going to see my family or how anything would fall into place. I just knew that I needed to be with my family with my little Christmas Angel. It didn't matter how far or whether chains would be required. It didn't matter whether or not Tom would be able to go... I was going no matter what.

I'm not sure why. I think that a part of me just needed to see Kaydie Rose held by my mom. I needed to hear her talking her perfect garbled language with my grandmother. I had to see her in my grandpa's arms. There was just no way that I could go without watching my sister's face light up when she first laid eyes on her.

Since I've had the baby, my memory has become more like a strainer than a retainer... so, I made plenty of lists of things that I had to purchase and pack pre-trip (bottle warmers, automatic battery rechargers for the car, chains, warm clothes for the baby, bottles of water, food, blankets, so on and so forth). It was very strange to pack for me and for Kaydie. I ended up packing wayyyyy too much for her - just about all of her clothes, all of her socks, her mittens, all of the diapers... tom accused me of intending to bring the kitchen sink to give her a bath in (but I don't bathe her in the kitchen sink, so he's just talking crazy).

We went to bed early on Friday night, but of course I couldn't sleep. I kept going over and over that last few items that I had to grab before we left. My camera. The extra battery for the camera. The cord to plug the camera in at Grandma's house to upload pictures. The frozen milk for Kaydie from the freezer. An extra bottle that I might need. If you are a parent, you'll recognize the list and know that it just keeps going and going...

Saturday:
Finally, 3:30am was upon us and we trudged out to the car. I clicked Kaydie into place and curled up on the front seat to sleep till the sun came up. We made it all the way to Redding before we needed to stop for a bathroom break, breakfast, and a stretch. Kaydie slept like an angel the entire way there.

After Redding, Tom drove to Weed, where we stopped for gas. Then I drove us over the mountains and through a big chunk of Oregon. I forget where we switched places again, but Kaydie needed some attention, so I let Tom drive the rest of the way to Gran's house and tried to keep her mind off the fact that she couldn't stretch out. Once it was about 4:30 in the afternoon, Kaydie became inconsolable. It felt like my heart was broken as she wailed and cried for almost a half an hour nonstop... I finally got Tom to pull over and we took an hour to eat dinner to give her a little break from her car seat. I worried because she actually spit up after she ate, which she very rarely does... I think maybe the constant motion of being in the car, and then stopping gave her an upset tummy. We ate at this tiny little burger joint somewhere around Chehalis Wa. It was decent, and had a clean bathroom. It's funny how you value the clean bathroom more than the food quality when you are on the road for a few hours.

After we got back on the road again, Kaydie slept for another few hours, until we got up towards Tacoma. After that she became really upset. I wonder if it was because it was so dark. She has never really been in the dark at home -there's always a night light or a fire going in the fireplace to see by. As we drove along the sound it was incredibly dark... I turned on one of the overhead dome lights and she calmed down a little... just as we rolled into Sequim, she passed out into a deep sleep... to be happily awoken by Grandma's loving arms pulling her from the carseat.

It was such a relief to arrive at Gran's house. I knew the trip was going to be long, and it was, but the hardest part was hearing Kaydie cry. She has the kind of cry now that just pulls your heartstrings and makes you cry along with her... I'm grateful that she does not have the shrill scream that some babies have (I'd invest in earplugs if that were the case!), but her sobs are sincere enough to make you bawl too. (yes, I can admit that I did cry too.)

We pulled into the driveway around nine and I immediately took a nice warm shower with Kaydie. It just seemed like the best way to put the trip behind us and start fresh there. The water calmed us both, and Kaydie slept well while we visited until the wee hours of the night with Gran, Gramps and mom...

Sunday:
Grandma and Kaydie had an immediate bond with eachother. Kaydie responds to Gran's voice so well, it's almost as though they are the only two people in the room. It was impossible for me to even think of feeling jealous of their connection with all the love and joy that I felt at watching them together. The best part is when gran interprets what Kaydie says - she knows exactly what she needs the moment that Kaydie tells her. Whether it is that she wants to stretch out, be talked to, eat... Gran just knows.

We spent Sunday waiting for Sommer to arrive. I had been looking forward to seeing my little sister meet my little baby girl... I think that was all I had been talking about for the past week! Sommer called around three to say that she had not been able to get aboard the ferry and would not be arriving at Gran's house till around 9:00pm. Tom and I decided to drive over to Mom's place to visit and say hi to Tim too. I kept calling to check to make sure that everything was going okay with the grandparents (of course it was), and then, when I called at quarter to eight... guess who answers the phone: Sommer. That little stinker tried to surprise us by arriving earlier than expected.

I let out a yelp of anger and laid into her - "I WANTED TO BE THERE WHEN YOU MET KAYDIE!!!" I know I was yelling on the phone.

I asked her if she'd already held Kaydie, "Ummm - no," Sommer replied with a questioning voice.

"YOU LIAR!" I accused - She admitted to the fact that she had, indeed, already held my little darling.

I grabbed Tom and raced back to grandma's, fuming the entire way. Of course by the time we got there, about five minutes had passed and I was just looking forward to seeing them. Sommer felt bad about it, actually she admitted that even as she told the little fib about missing the ferry, that she had a bad feeling that it was going to bite her in the butt later... Jason confirmed that he had warned her against it. Everything ended up just fine, and I got to watch Kaydie and Sommer meet eachother every morning as they grinned and jabbered while Sommer helped to get Kaydie dressed.

MONDAY: Christmas Eve Day
My family celebrates most of Christmas on Christmas Eve. We open all our gifts to eachother that evening after dinner and before dessert. Grandma prepared a huge meal of turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, yams, green salad, fruit salad, rolls, gravy, and probably a few other items that I can't remember right now (did I mention that I have a terrible memory these days?). Everything was soooo delicious. My poor stomach was stretched out to fit the size of my eyes' appetite... which is GIGANTIC.

After dinner we all sat down in the living room - Sommer played Santa and passed out the gifts. Mom was the most excited as she was gifted with a laptop by Tim - she completely checked out and was totally infatuated with examining her gift for the remainder of the evening. Proof: she left all her other gifts, her camera, and Tim's gifts there when she left to head home! Sommer loved the jacket I got for her - which made my day! I was so excited when I saw it - I just KNEW she had to have it!!! Our darling Jason (Sommer's hunkahunka boyfriend) had a really nice time with everyone - especially as I made it my personal duty to harass him into feeling like he was one of the gang. Tom was super excited to receive a safe, a Home Depot GC, and a TURDUCKEN for Christmas!!! He's been wanting to try one of those for the last three years! (Thanks Sommer!). I was thrilled to receive a giant cooking pot for perfect roasts, a beautiful set of silverware, hand turned jewelry from mom, and an abundance of gifts from Sommer (soaps, candleholders, singing pillows, jewels for my wine goblets, and oodles of toys for Kaydie to play with too!!!). The family all seemed happy with their brag books filled with pictures of Tom, Kaydie and I as we adventured our way through 2007.

All in all, there were grins of happiness and everyone emanated love and contentment. I think it was the best Christmas yet.

TUESDAY: December 25th.
Today was more of a kick back and relax kind of day. We got excited over our stockings and then munched on leftovers all day. Jason had to leave early (he took Hammlette with him) and it was sad to see him go. We played a few boardgames like Cranium and Pictionary (and found out that Tom can't hum to save his life!), and took advantage of lots of photo shoots for Kaydie Rose. The grandparents opened up and gave me a glimpse into what it was like when they were my age - with three children, recently moved to Sacramento and opening a business... it was really wonderful to be at an age where I can appreciate the trials and risks they took.

WEDNESDAY: The day after Christmas

Poor Gran came down with some kind of flu bug, and Grandpa had his hands full taking care of her. We decided to get out of their way for a bit...

TIME FOR SHOPPING! Sommer, Tom and I (with Kaydie in my arms) hit downtown Port Angeles to try to take advantage of some of those 'after Christmas specials' - Sommer needed new kicks, and tom needed a new hat. Kaydie and I were just there to swipe plastic and look pretty. The weather was incredibly brisk, and a few of the stores had cranked the heat up so much that when you walked in you lost your breath from going from such a cold breeze to a hot sauna... Sommer and I were not impressed. Sommer found a wallet and Tom found his hat... the shoes were elusive, however. Sommer decided to continue the hunt online...

That evening, we went over to Mom and Tim's place and ordered pizza from some guy named Hunter (I think). Between Mom, Sommer, Kaydie and I, there was a lot of laughter, a lot of "dammits", and a few secrets shared and acceptance granted. All in all, it was a wonderful night of bonding for us. Tom and Tim were kicked out to the shed where they worked on making us gorgeous necklaces from precious and semi precious stones. (Beautiful workmanship, by the way!)

THURSDAY:
Gran woke up feeling better, but weak from not eating all day, poor dear. I don't remember too much from Thursday, other than Tom went over to Mom and Tim's because he was bored. Sommer and I played Pictionary... and we ate ham...a LOT of ham with croissants... (I don't understand how I didn't gain 20 lbs while I was up there!?!?)

FRIDAY: Sommer baked a turkey and we had Christmas dinner all over again (almost!). She had to leave for Bellingham and it was terrible to have to let her go. Every time I see her, we get closer and closer - and it's hard to say goodbye.

SATURDAY: I didn't want to, but according to Tom, it was time to go home. We were up and out the door just after 4am... and got to our door just before 8pm. As happy as I was to be out of the car, I was still sad and depressed at having to say goodbye to my family...who knows when I'll be back up there again... :(