Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The big question...

One of the first questions everyone asks you as a new mother is:
"How has life changed since you had Kaydie Rose?"

It would be quicker to list the things have remained the same, as it is drastically shorter. Okay, let me think of something that has stayed the same... hmm... still thinking...

Here it is:
  1. I still breathe air

What an incredibly short list, because truly - nothing is the same!

Previously, I would get excited about reading a book, going out to eat, shopping, or having a glass of wine with family. Now, I get excited when I hear Kaydie making poopies, cooing sounds, and spit bubbles.

It used to be that I was on a schedule where you sleep at night, eat breakfast in the morning, lunch around noon, and dinner sometime in the evening. These days, I sleep when Kaydie does, I am able to grab food (let's call it breakfast) around noon, lunch is at 4, and dinner is around 10pm when I dine on sugar free popsicles, crackers, or peanut butter on toast.

I used to think that my bodily functions were controlled by me. Now, I realize that they are controlled by Kaydie. When she's hungry, milk just starts pouring out of me - whether she's next to me, in another room, or completely out of my range. It's like her stomach is directly connected to my chest!

I was under the impression that babies were fragile weak little creatures. Kaydie has completely proven me wrong. She is an adorable tank. Her body is one incredibly powerful muscle. She decides whether her arm goes into the armhole of her outfits - there is no overpowering her, she's just too strong! When she stretches, her back arches and you can feel all the muscles expand and contract - her whole body is just tough as nails even though she is covered in the most soft tender baby skin.

I am realizing that life will never be the same, and I wouldn't want it to be. Kaydie and I are figuring out how we work together as a team day by day. She shows me her likes and dislikes, and I keep her safe, warm, fed and clean - and do my best to keep us both happy and sane. (And Tom does a great job keeping a roof over all our heads!) I think we are all doing a good job and I couldn't have asked for a sweeter or more lovable child.

She smiles at me, talks to me, she nods yes and no, she rocks in the chair with me, dances with me, always understands when I explain how America's Most Smartest Models really aren't that smart, laughs with me at Craig Ferguson's late night standup, and dozes on me when we go for walks outside. She allows me to schedule last minute photo ops, update her blog and her babybook (but only when she's asleep), and she loves sleeping next to me. She knows my smell, the shape of my body, my face and my smile... she knows I'm her mama...and that makes us both feel really really good.